Skip to main content

WHO watch experience

By Kemi Bello from PHM Nigeria

The WHO watch experience is definitely one I can never forget. I had a practical insight into the dealings and proceedings of the WHO. I learnt more things about the WHO in the few days I spent in Geneva, than I had learnt in the 6 years I spent in Medical School! It kind of struck me how much member states had the power to bring about positive changes to health that they never use. It also availed me the opportunity to meet with my Country (and some other African Countries) delegation who were much more open to discussion than they would ordinarily have been back home.

How can I also forget the wonderful dinner with Dr. Halfdan Mahler, an ex- WHO DG who shared with us stories and experiences money can’t buy?

In all, it was a very nice experience though I left Geneva with many more questions than I went with; from why should an individual address the assembly and have more time than that allocated to each MS to why the WHO has allowed itself to be boxed into a corner and now have to dance to the tunes of some of these ‘big actors’ and to why there is always so much emphasis placed on the wrong things?

However, I see a new ‘people oriented’ WHO coming, though it may take some time and hard work but nothing good usually comes easy and above all, I am excited to be a part of this process… Viva Healthcare!!!

****

Kemi from PHM Nigeria and John Mahama from PHM Ghana have written a detailed report on the WHO watch at the 64th World Health Assembly which we will share with all soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Practitioners Calls off their strike in Kenya

Medical practitioners operating at Kenya's largest public hospital called Kenyatta National Hospital went on strike yesterday and paralysed all medical services within that health institution for 10 hours. They were demanding that the government of Kenya should pay them their due arrears for 11 months adding up to a total of 87 million Kenya shillings. Patients waited patiently in the hospital wards and on long queues for the strike to be called off or solved by the relevant authority. Relevant ministers were at that moment attending a constitution conference at the Kabete about 10 kilometers away from the hospital. When PHM Kenya representative arrived to the hospital, the hospital administration had already made promise to pay the nurses as soon as possible and the nurses agreed to resume back to work this morning. I will be going there at 2:00 pm to meet some officials to see if PHM could be of help to any side. More of this later..... In solidarity. Erick Otieno Owuor

A Human rights-based approach to climate change: A missed Opportunity for Uganda

A Human rights-based approach to climate change: A missed Opportunity for Uganda                                                                                                                                By                          ...

Re-Post: PHM Nigeria: First Online Meeting 2 October 2010

Dear PHM Friends Please note the correction on the email contact and plan for physical meeting in December not online. *** PHM Nigeria held its first online meeting on the 2nd of October 2010 attended by interested organisations in Nigeria. Each organisation gave a brief profile of what they do and their interest in PHM. Outcomes of the meeting included: - a steering committee was formed and adopted four thematic areas to focus on - to get more commitment from people and to really know those that are interested in PHM and circulate a form to be filled which would also help develop a data base. -possibility of registration of the Movement with Nigerian Corporate Affairs Commission. -possibility of a physical meeting in December. Contact details of PHM Nigeria: phmnigeria@gmail.com